Do you like pork? Corn whiskey? Wrasslin with horses and small bears? XBox? Cheese sammiches and brown dope? If so, I'm yer Captain Posey Pants.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Giant Dead Snapping Turtle...

I saw you this morning at the end of Old Finger Road.
Me- Wearing red plaid short-sleeve shirt, driving blue Ford Ranger pickup truck.
You- Dead, in the middle of the road.
You were alarmingly big, certainly the largest reptile I'd ever seen on Old Finger Road, living or dead. I would have expected to find you in a lake or river, but not on Old Finger Road, where the only nearby body of water is a muddy stream only a few levels up from a drainage ditch. And that water is over a quarter mile from where I saw you. How a turtle your size might have ended up in that stream, I can not guess. Nor can I figure why you would have crawled out the stream and dragged your unusually large reptile body a quarter mile AWAY from your preferred habitat. Bitter irony that after all your effort, you would end up squooshed under some redneck's truck tires.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the guts spilling out...which leads me to remember of my Armadillo haiku....

10:40 AM, May 19, 2005

 
Blogger RachieK said...

I'm very thankful there's no link for this one.

8:52 PM, May 19, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home