Do you like pork? Corn whiskey? Wrasslin with horses and small bears? XBox? Cheese sammiches and brown dope? If so, I'm yer Captain Posey Pants.

Friday, June 10, 2005

How to boss people around...

In my next job, with IDG, I will be a Site Manager. As a Site Manager, I will be responsible for the oversight and management of a small staff, maybe 2 or 3 employees (Dad, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm a little bit nervous about managing people. My management experience is extremely limited: 3-4 months as a supervisor at the RSC, approximately 7 years ago. As I recall, I wasn't all that good at it. I want to be better this time. I want to be a great manager.

So, I've been thinking about good managers. Good leaders. What makes a good leader? How can I become one?

I think patience is important, and kindness. A good ear and a good heart. The willingness to do yourself whatever it is you are asking of others. Recognizing that a manager must serve the needs of his team, and not the other way around.

Quiet strength is far superior to bluster and bombast. The ability to admit error. A sense of humor.

The capacity to inspire others to do good work.


*Jesus Christ
*Dan Hardin (just below JC; not too shabby!)
*Vernon Smith
*Paul Holtzclaw
*Debbie Long
*Andy Taylor
These are my leadership heroes. If I could be at least a little like some of these folks, I might be a halfway-decent manager.

2 Comments:

Blogger RachieK said...

Well, you were always quite high-handed with me!!!

10:45 PM, June 10, 2005

 
Blogger Chauntelle said...

I guess I just assumed that the inclusion of the "Intimidator" on my leadership list was a given...

9:00 PM, June 11, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home