Do you like pork? Corn whiskey? Wrasslin with horses and small bears? XBox? Cheese sammiches and brown dope? If so, I'm yer Captain Posey Pants.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

facsimilous- adj: Of, or pertaining to, a facsimile.

Example: "Yo mama so facsimilous when she sits around the house, she really sits around the house.


Well, I have less than 5 more working days left at Young Touchstone, and I'm just not sure how I feel, exactly. I'm happy to be leaving, of course- there's no question about that. But I'm not sure how I should view my tenure with Young Touchstone. I came to work here out of necessity. I stayed because they paid for my schooling and because I found some opportunities here. I am proud of the progress I've made personally and professionally in my 5 years at Young Touchstone, but, at the same time, I can't say that I've particularly enjoyed it. At the end, what have I really accomplished? Yes, I pushed myself, yes, I learned a lot, but what else? Am I leaving anything behind that I can be proud of? As I look back, I just keep seeing things that I could have, should have, done differently.

I want my next five years to be better. I want to enjoy my work. I want to accomplish something worthwhile every day. I want to be proud of my work. I want to be proud of my life.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chauntelle said...

I don't know why, but that really made me laugh.

:)

4:10 PM, June 09, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I look at a concrete block I don't get particularly excited either. They have a million uses but they're just so....well, I'll just go ahead and say it....they're so utilitarian. I've built some very fine decks upon those blocks and I am usually very pleased with the result. Once the deck is completed you hardly even notice the blocks but without that base the structure cannot stand. Be proud of the foundation you have laid Patrick. You can build the rest of your life upon it.

9:50 PM, June 09, 2005

 
Blogger RachieK said...

Our Daddy is so wise. Man, we are lucky!

10:38 PM, June 09, 2005

 
Blogger Chauntelle said...

And I have to explain...when I posted my comment, Patrick just had the "facsimilous" entry. He added the rest later--so my comment about making me laugh really seemed out of place once he went back & put in the part about how he wants to grow personally & professionally.

Patrick...not fair. You can't edit after people post comments!!!!

On another note--I think you've accomplished quite a lot; we both have. You began working in an environment that you didn't want to be in, felt uncomfortable in, but succeeded. You've continously been promoted (which is more than you can say for your tenure at USCC), and have been paid a nice wage for it, too. You've gone back to school, which is something that you've wanted to do for a long time, but never seemed to be able to do it until we got here (probably because we were in a pinch & you realized that school may be our only salvation...). You've become a better man since we've been here.

We all have parts of our life that we play the "coulda woulda shoulda" game...but the mistakes we make are how we learn & grow, and they're what makes us better in the long run.

8:57 AM, June 10, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Mo' says: I am so impressed with my family! Uncle Possum is extremely wise and I to have had the privelge to be influenced by the Possum parents! I am so excited and slightly envious of the new adventure for P-cat and Telly! Go, grow and get your groove on! High fives to both of you! I love you both big bunches!(that goes out to all the little possums...you know who you are)!!

10:18 AM, June 10, 2005

 
Blogger Chauntelle said...

Chauntelle:

Sorry to switch up on you there. I think you commented while I was still working on the post. No worries, though: I realized that your amusement was not a reaction to the second part of my post. Only occasionally do you express amusement at my open articulation of honest emotion. Only occasionally.

Pops:

Thanks for helping to put my experience at Young Touchstone in perspective. It helps me to remember that every experience, good, bad, or so-so, is a teacher. What matters most is how I use the lessons I've learned here.

10:34 AM, June 10, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your Father. You guys went to Jackson with hope of building a life there. You didn't know anyone, you didn't know the area, and Patrick, you had no job. Talk about a leap of faith! Just look what you've accomplished! Patrick, you have always sold yourself short - look at your life from the view of someone else. Good jobs, grear home, and true love! How blessed are you??? You're both awesome human beings, and I'm so proud of you both.

Now, on to the really important things. You've left us all hanging and have done no new installments of your serial!!!! Get crackin'!

1:16 PM, June 10, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home