Do you like pork? Corn whiskey? Wrasslin with horses and small bears? XBox? Cheese sammiches and brown dope? If so, I'm yer Captain Posey Pants.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

What a difference a day makes...

What do I mean? Well, I mean this:

24 hours ago, I have every reason to expect that I will be spending most of the next 4 to 6 weeks overseeing an IDG storeroom at a Stanley manufacturing facility in balmy Cheraw, SC (God's country).


12 hours ago, I have every reason to expect that I will be spending most of the next 4 to 6 weeks overseeing an IDG storeroom at a Stanley manufacturing facility in balmy Cheraw, SC (God's country).

11 hours ago, I receive a phone call from my "sort-of" boss at Honeywell in Greer, telling me that Belmont is unhappy that I am helping out in Cheraw while still on the training budget. Apparently, the powers-that-be think that as long as my salary is coming out of the training budget, I should actually be in training, or at least working at a site where training has occurred in the past. Apparently, what I've been doing in Cheraw does not constitute training, even though I feel like I have learned quite a bit in the past week and a half. Truth is, what Bill took me through last week was the closest I've gotten yet to an actual structured learning experienced. That's all to his credit, by the way. He was a good teacher. Too bad, then, that it's him that got shipped back down to the sand hills.

Obviously, I'm glad to be back home for what I hope will be a good long while. That said, the way IDG management has handled this whole situation truly irritates me. I'm frustrated at how I've been jerked back and forth, at how Bill has been jerked back and forth and back again, and at how the area manager for eastern SC seems uninterested in looking after his own back yard. I mean, I find it kind of sad that the area manager overseeing the Cheraw plant called me today only after I had received a call from a site manager in Greer and after Bill had physically arrived. And the site manager in Greer called me so that I wouldn't get freaked out when Bill showed up out of the blue this morning. Everybody knew about this change yesterday, but the folks in Greer didn't call because that's the responsibility of the area manager, and the area manager didn't call. Until this morning. After everyone had given up on him and just contacted me themselves. So, again, I am a little frustrated with the jerking around.

Still, I'm glad to be back in a place that increasingly feels like home. Glad to come back to Honeywell knowing that I'm the guy who did everything he was asked to do without complaint. Glad to have a brain full of new knowledge and a little bit more confidence. Glad to be able to sleep in a bed that doesn't hurt my back. Glad to be back with my little dumplin head of love...

5 Comments:

Blogger Chauntelle said...

Your little dumplin head of love is glad to have you back home. *KISS*

12:09 PM, July 28, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck?!?!?!?!?!? How nuts is this??? Well, as always, it's about the money and when people find out their money is being used for something other than what's is earmarked for, then that's when they go crazy-not when people are making sacrifices and losing their minds!

Well, thank goodness you are home with Chauntelle!!!

2:52 PM, July 28, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Mo says: Huh? What? I'm so ooo confused. So who running this in BF Egypt?

3:56 PM, July 28, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some day your experiences will be included in a "must read" training manual for all IDG managers entitled "101 Ways to F--- Over Your Subordinants and Still Keep Your Job". I'm sorry but this is just about the most glaring example of ineptitude I've ever heard of. Maybe somebody finally woke up and realized what was going on. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, you now have first-hand knowledge of what the word SNAFU really means....Situation Normal, All F----d Up.

8:15 PM, July 28, 2005

 
Blogger Chauntelle said...

Maybe I've just worked for State Gov't, but this really doesn't surprise me. You've got a big company, and they have operations out of several different areas, and an extremely busy schedule. I guess I just assume that the right & left hands don't always talk to each other...all I can say is, he's getting paid regularly, it's going into our account, and he's getting the reimbursement payments, too, which is wonderful. I remember when I first got hired on with the State, first they didn't tell me I had the job...then they mailed my first check to the wrong address, and couldn't reissue another check until they got the first one back...so it was a month before I got paid!!!! At least they're paying Patrick, and paying him rather well. Plus, he's getting the scenic tour of SC. :)

But you won't hear me complain that he's back in the Honeywell plant, 7 minutes from home....

Besides, all of what's happened just go to making a really funny story down the road! And what's that saying...that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger??? I just figure we'll be regular SuperHeroes by the tiem this is all figured out!!!

11:26 AM, July 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home